The average lifespan of LiftMaster door openers is 10 to 15 years. However, with proper maintenance, they can last up to 20. If you have had your LiftMaster garage door opener for several years and notice some issues with its operation, such as slower opening and closing, excessive noise from the motor unit, worn-out tracks, etc., it is about time you replace it.
You may also opt to replace your LiftMaster garage door with newer models for improved security and convenience. Newer models have upgraded designs with quieter operation, automatic reversal, battery backup, keypad entry, Wi-Fi connectivity, and other smart features.
How do you find the right replacement LiftMaster garage door opener?
Below is a look at some factors to consider when choosing a replacement LiftMaster garage door, why LiftMaster garage door openers are a great option, and how to establish compatibility with your garage door remote and other accessories.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Replacement Liftmaster Garage Door
LiftMaster garage door openers vary in their operation mechanism of moving a trolley along the track. They can be categorized as follows:
- Chain drive garage door openers. They are the most economical and readily available, even at big box stores. However, they tend to be noisy and unsuitable if your garage door adjoins your living space. They also require regular maintenance.
- Belt drive garage door openers. They are quieter than chain-driven garage openers and do not produce vibrations. They are about $50 to $100 more expensive than chain-driven garage door openers. They are a great option if you are keen on a quiet operation. Belt drive openers have fewer moving parts, so they do not require regular maintenance.
- Direct drive garage door openers. They are not as common as the belt and chain-driven garage door systems. However, they are quiet and reliable. They have a unique design whereby the motor is attached to a stationary chain. As the motor unit moves, it pulls the garage door up or lowers it.
- Screw drive garage door openers. They have a unique design whereby a threaded screw lowers or raises the garage door instead of a chain or belt. It is dependable and operates fast. However, this type of opener is not suitable for operating heavy doors. Also, the screw tends to wear down quickly, requiring frequent replacement.
- Jackshaft garage door openers. They have a unique operating Unlike the other types that are mounted overhead the garage door, jackshaft openers mount on the wall. They are more secure and have advanced features such as automation and smart technology. However, they are more expensive than the other types.
The right horsepower for your garage door opener depends on the weight of your door as follows:
- 1/3-1/4hp — 150pounds
- ½ hp —350lb
- ¾ hp —650lb
- 1 hp—750lb
- 1 ¼ hp —over 750lb
Garage door openers are rated AC (Alternating Current) or DC (Direct Current). Both types of openers plug into the standard power outlet. However, a DC power source is preferred as it can be converted to AC and is more energy efficient. Furthermore, DC motors are smaller and operate more smoothly and quieter.
Consider the cost of buying the opener and its installation. The cost of LiftMaster door openers ranges from $200 to $650. The average cost of chain and belt-driven door opener models is about $375. Wall mount openers cost $500 to $700. You can expect to pay $150 to $400 in installation fees. However, it can cost up to $1,200 to install wall-mounted openers.
When choosing a replacement garage door opener, look for features such as WI-FI connectivity, automatic reverse, rolling code technology, battery backup, camera technology, wireless remote or keypad, and voice command.
Why Go for a LiftMaster Garage Door Opener Replacement?
There is a wide range of LiftMaster belts and chain-driven garage door openers. There are also a few direct drive chain, jackshaft, and screwdriver models. You can choose between ½ - 1 ¼ horsepower AC motors and a wide range of DC motors. The DC motors models are rated according to their lifting power of 400 to 800lbs instead of horsepower. Choose the power rating according to the weight of your door.
Most LiftMaster garage door openers are suitable for residential and commercial property use. They have a sturdy, high-quality build and are backed with a 1 to 5-year warranty.
Another outstanding aspect of LiftMaster openers is that a majority have the following smart features:
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Have backup battery
- Compatibility with the myQ App. The myQ technology enables you to receive alerts, conveniently open and close the garage door, and sync to other smart devices.
- Compatibility with Homelink and Key by Amazon
- Integrated video camera for a 360o view of your garage
- Compatibility with most Liftmaster garage door opener accessories such as wireless motion alerts, LED light bulbs, remote controls, chain extension kits, and Liftmaster repair parts.
How to Determine Which LiftMaster Garage Door Opener is Compatible?
Generally, LiftMaster openers are suited for overhead garage doors. However, different models are compatible with specific garage door remotes and accessories.
Therefore, unless you intend to replace the garage door opener and its remote, ensure that the replacement LiftMaster garage door opener you choose has your preferred features and is compatible with your LiftMaster remote. Check the LiftMaster compatibility chart to identify garage door openers compatible with your garage door remote model.
LiftMaster Garage Door Openers
A well-functioning garage door opener is crucial for optimal garage door system functioning. Therefore, if it wears out, you must replace it immediately. LiftMaster garage door openers are an excellent option for replacement.
There is a wide range of replacements, depending on the drive mechanism, power source and rating, cost, and additional features. Choose the right replacement Liftmaster garage door according to your budget, the weight of the door, and preferred features.
Contact us today to make your order for a replacement LiftMaster garage door opener.