Norman K. Miller founded Miller Edge Inc in 1936. Originally referred to as “Miller Brothers”, the business was in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
After being honorably discharged from the United States Army, General Merrill Burnside requested that Norman create a safety product designed for hangar doors to be used at Wright Patterson Air Base. The product was later developed and contained the first patent in 1957 for the “Electrically Activated Safety Edge for Hangar Doors''.
The product line has grown to provide non-contact and touch-sensitive sensing edge devices along with door controls and accessories. They are part of storefront grills, driveway gates, mass transit, and automated manufacturing industries.
Miller Edge’s focus is on providing innovative solutions and quality improvement. It produces:
Sensing Edges: Used for hundreds of applications since they vary in width, length, and height. These touch-sensitive switches send signals to stop, start, or reverse motors and ring bells.
Safety Mats: These pressure-sensitive mats are used to stop machinery, reverse motors, and sound alarms. They are used by airports, banks, hotels, gyms, and manufacturing plants.
Photo Optics: There are three groups of photo optics available. TruGuard offers a reflective stationary singular beam in a photo-eye. Light Curtain is stationary with a multi-beam. There are also custom solutions offered as well.
Other accessories include cords, reels, transmitters, receivers, controllers, air switches, hoses, motion sensors, parts, and interface modules.